National vegetarian week Monday 18 – Sunday 24 May 2009
Welcome to National vegetarian week!
In it’s 17th year, National vegetarian week is an awareness-raising campaign promiting both the benefits of a meat-free lifestyle and inspirational food.
The vegetarian society are calling on businesses, schools, colleges, universities, community groups, libraries, hospitals, families and individuals to take part!
There are lots of ways you can get involved.
- Sharing information is one of the best. Spend time this week discussing a vegetarian diet with friends and family, a school group or local community.
- If you own a blog or website, write about vegetarian week with a link to their site.
- If you use forums or social networking sites, then spread the word!
- Have at least one vegetarian meal this week and invite some friends over to share. Find vegetarian recipes here.
- Find out how being vegetarian can benefit the environment.
Environment and health
Debate is hotting up over whether a vegetarian diet is better for the environment and whether there would be enough food to go around if we ate less meat in the West.
In addition, proponents say a vegetarian diet is healthier than a meat-eating one.
At the end of the day, you need to decide for yourself. Certainly a couple of vegetarian meals each week can add variety and interest to your diet, so why not use national vegetarian week to give it a try and see how you get on?