tips for saving water from Ecover, Natalie Imbruglia and water aid
Browse main article categories
Water is one of the earth’s most precious resources, yet 1 in 8 people do not have access to clean water. In some developing countries, women and children walk for 8 hours a day to collect water, which is often dirty and unsafe.
The average person, in the UK, uses 50 litres of water a day; that’s 50% more than 25 years ago. Yet with the world population increasing, we all need to conserve as much water as we can.
Natalie Imbruglia has teamed up with Ecover to explain how our actions in the UK can impact on the rest of the world. In it, she shares tips on how to reduce water consumption.
Tips to save water
- If everyone in the UK turned off the tap while brushing their teeth, we could save 180 million litres of water; enough to supply 500 houses for a day.
- Taking a three minute shower rather than a bath can save up to 60% water (Unless it’s a power shower, in which case it can use MORE water!)
- Put a hippo in your cistern to save water on every flush – 30% of your household water supply is used to flush the toilet.
- Switch to eco friendly toiletries and cleaning products. Brands full of toxic chemicals leave residue in the water course which needs further water to dilute. If just 5% of families in the UK switched to eco friendly products, more than 1/2 million swimming pools of water would be protected from pollution each year
- Install a couple of water butts in your garden – use this stored rain water on your crops and plants and to wash your car and patio furniture.
- When cooking a meal, use a steamer rather than individual saucepans for cooking vegetables. Use the water in the steamer to make gravy too!
Natalie Imbruglia and Ecover
Why not take a few minutes to watch Natalie Imbruglia and ecover’s video. With beautiful music and powerful images, it’s a great reminder about treating our water supply with respect and changing our actions to help others.
To help you do your bit Ecover is also offering a free watercare pack which includes a hippo water saver for your toilet as well as tips on how to save water and reduce water pollution, both locally and globally.
What is your top tip for reducing water consumption
In Northern Europe, around 12 million people suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Symptoms range from mild such as feeling a little…
You’ve all been waiting patiently to begin making your own household cleaners. You know some of the nasties you want to avoid…